Critical P-20 Research and Policy Questions
ESHB 2261 directs ERDC to identify the critical research and policy questions that ERDC intends to address. ERDC has compiled a list of questions from a variety of sources and prioritized them based on criteria that include expressed interest by stakeholders and data availability.
The current, complete list of questions is available in the report: 2010_CriticalQuestions.pdf.
ERDC Priority Questions
Student Profile: Who are the students? What are their characteristics?
- What are the demographic, mobility, program, class, grade and course‐taking profiles of students who do and do not achieve and what are their outcomes?
- Are students working while in school? What are the characteristics of working students?
- How many students receive financial aid and what are their characteristics?
Quality/Achievement: What are students doing? How well? Course-taking, assessments, tests, etc.
- How do the performance profiles of high mobility students compare to those of other students, e.g., attendance, proficiency, graduation, post-secondary enrollment?
- Is there a relation between college major and time-to-degree?
- How do need-based aid recipients compare to non need-based aid recipients with respect to academic preparation in high school, remedial needs at postsecondary institutions, degree completion, time to degree, etc.
- As data become available: What are the attendance patterns and proficiency levels of students who drop out by subgroup?
Transition/Advancement Outcomes: Do students continue on education path? Graduation rates, dropouts, retention, employment
- How are students from specific high schools performing at the post secondary level, and what are the strongest predictors of post secondary success, i.e., what are the high school profiles of students who succeed at the post secondary level?
- What are the education and workforce outcomes of low-income students (Free or Reduced Price Lunch-eligible students)? What are their postsecondary financial aid profiles?
- What are the outcomes and characteristics for those who drop out of high school before earning a diploma? How many re-enter? Get a GED? Enroll in the community and technical college system? Enter the workforce?
- What are retention rates of baccalaureate students, by institution and student characteristics?
- To what extent does swirling (transfer between institutions) occur among Washington baccalaureate and community and technical colleges?
- Where are baccalaureate graduates after graduation? What are their employment characteristics? Are they enrolled in graduate/professional school?
- As data become available: What are the K-12 outcomes for ECEAP and Head Start participants? To what extent are they different?
- As data become available: Do the effects of early childhood interventions "fade out" later?
Program effectiveness and costs: Evaluation and comparisons of programs, schools, districts
- What are the characteristics of districts/schools that meet or do not meet accountability requirements, i.e., funding, programs and course offerings, average class size, staff allocations and teacher qualifications?
- As data become available: What programs, services, and instructional models have shown the most success in improving the performance of students in special education and ELL programs in similar districts/schools?
Teachers: Supply, distribution, retention, training
- What are the most common characteristics of the teacher workforce in schools that show the greatest success with students?
- What are the common characteristics of teachers who leave the teaching workforce? What are their subsequent employment characteristics?